A good long rant about gossip magazines and some advice for my fellow young female humans

I'm preparing my Spanish GCSE exam this year as my parents are from Spain and I speak fluent Spanish, so the exam will be easy and it'll be like an introduction to exams for when I take the rest of my GCSEs next year. I still have to prepare it, though, because I have to know what the topics that are going to come up are and more or less what the exam's going to be like. I'm a little nervy about my speaking exam - I may know how to speak Spanish but I'm, ahem, generally not a very confident speaker, especially in front of people I don't know. When someone puts me on the spot and tells me to talk about a particular thing my brain just freezes and I don't say anything other than, "umm... errr..." Which is a bit worrying considering the exam is going to be a type of interview. I guess I just need to practise what I'm going to say a lot and if I'm really confident I know what I'm doing, I'll probably be fine. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, while my mum and I were looking through the GCSE Spanish coursebook we have, one of the exercises was about describing a celebrity you like, and a celebrity you don't like, and the reasons why. And I realised that I didn't know how to do that, because I don't really have any opinions about any celebrity. I'm just really not interested in that sort of thing. So that afternoon when we went to the supermarket, we bought a celebrity gossip magazine, so I could flip through it and read the interviews, and maybe come up with some kind of opinion about a particular celebrity. Well, I looked through it, and I only realised one thing: I absolutely hate gossip magazines.

(Hold onto your hats, buckle up your seatbelts, hang on tight: there's a great big rant coming this way!)

Firstly, the idea of famous people being stalked by reporters trying to get a story about them just makes me sick. Aren't celebrities allowed to have private lives? It seems not: the magazine is full of things like, "there's a possibility so-and-so is going out with so-and-so..." What if these people don't want the whole world to know what's going on in their lives? And here's the part I don't get: why would anyone be INTERESTED in this? I honestly can't see why anyone would spend money buying these magazines every week. But people do; they wouldn't exist if nobody bought them. Makes me wonder about the future of humankind.

Then there's the celebrities that give the interviews. You get people (women mostly, I don't think there's an interview with a guy in the whole magazine) talking about how excited they are to be having a baby, how much they enjoyed their holidays, how they and their husband were "meant to be", basically how brilliant their lives are. And I'm thinking - okay, these ladies are rich. You can tell that much from the way they talk about buying properties and hiring nannies. So, you know, maybe they could use their money and influence to do good things? Like, I don't know, start a charity for poor kids in Africa, or start a campaign for some good cause, I don't know, SOMETHING that benefits humanity. But instead, they spend their money buying expensive clothes (500 quid for a dress? You'd have to be dumb) and houses, and they give interviews about how great their lives are, which I bet makes loads of ordinary women feel bad about their own lives. Okay, so maybe I'm being a little harsh; I know there are some celebrities who try and help people, and who aren't completely self-obsessed, I'm mostly just talking about the celebs in the magazine I got.

And then there's the actual photos of the celebs. First off: can't famous people wear normal clothes? No, they wear these weird dresses that according to the writer are "magnificent" but that I would never wear in a thousand million years. And the make-up: why would you wear so much of it? You get photos of people wearing so much make-up, they must think they look so attractive but they actually look awful. I'm serious here. It makes their faces just look... weird. Unnatural. I mean there's nothing wrong with wearing a little bit of mascara and lipgloss, but wow these guys go way over the top. And it's not just the make-up that makes them look odd, there are some people who have obviously had operations on their faces, facelifts and whatever, or their lips are all puffy. I swear some of them look SCARY. If I met one of them walking down the road I would probably turn and run back the way I'd come, I'm serious. Do they look in the mirror and think "hey I look so attractive cause I'm wearing a litre of make-up and my skin is all tight and my lips are puffed up to twice their normal size"? Do other people look at them and think that? I don't see how they could. And here's the bit that gets me: the majority of these women are young. They might actually be, you know, pretty. But they hide it so well with all the make-up and stuff... WHY? I just don't get it.

And what's more, I bet these are the kind of images that teenage girls see, and they want to be like these celebrities, so they start trying to look like them. And when they see that their faces and their bodies don't look like the celebrities', they start feeling crap about themselves and they start hating how they look, and their self-confidence plummets because they think they aren't good-looking, and they end up getting depressed. This makes me MAD! I guess I'm lucky that I don't care much about how I look, I'm very comfortable in my own skin and I wouldn't want to change how I look (okay I wouldn't mind being a bit taller, but hey I'm 15, I might still grow a couple inches). Just because you don't look like people in gossip magazines doesn't mean you're not pretty! Okay, if you don't believe me, I'll tell you a secret. I've never seen a girl who I think is ugly. Even if your face isn't perfect you still have a kind of natural beauty, especially if you're in your teens. Don't let anyone tell you different! The only people who I might think are close to "ugly" are people who wear too much make-up. Get where I'm going with this? If you wear a little bit of make-up to bring out your features a bit it's fine, but wearing too much of it just completely spoils your inner beauty. My point: don't try to change the way you look just because people tell you to, you look great the way you are. And why is being attractive so important anyway? So guys will want to go out with you? Do you really want a guy to go out with you just because you look nice? I sure as hell wouldn't. (Well, I wouldn't really want to go out with anyone, but that's another story that you can read about here.) If you're not super-good-looking then you know what? When you do go out with someone, you'll know he likes you for who you are, not just because of how you look. I'd say that's a win, wouldn't you? So my second point: don't give a damn about how you look, it's what's inside that counts.

So this has somehow turned into an advice post for underconfident teenage girls, don't ask how it happened. It's a subject I have very strong views about, and I've been meaning to write a post like this for a while, but I didn't really know how to start it. If you're wondering where all this is coming from, I had coffee this morning, so I'm a bit hyper. If you're a guy and you're reading my blog, well, sorry? But I guess this can also kinda apply to you too, in a way.

Guess this wraps this post up. See you later.

Stay awesome,

-IndigoSky


Comments

  1. I totally agree with what you are saying here. Also, though, you have to sympathise with celebrities who go to Hollywood and are told that they must look a certain way, that they cannot be who they want to be because in reality it won't get them the most publicity. There is so much pressure on them.

    And I too have never looked at a girl and thought she was ugly either. A valuable thought: a kind person can never be ugly.

    Great post!
    Peggy x

    www.andpeggyblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree - showbiz is a really cruel business, I bet a lot of celebrities feel forced to be a certain way to be more popular. I didn't mean to come across like I was being unsympathetic, maybe I was a little harsh in this post?
      Totally agree that a kind person can never be ugly, if you're a good person people will be able to see it.
      Glad you enjoyed this, and thanks for visiting my blog!
      IndigoSky xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey there! I hope you enjoyed this post, and if you did, please leave me a comment! They make my day. I try and reply to comments within a few hours, so keeping checking back!

Popular posts from this blog

Indigo's Monthly Writing Challenge: September

"The Adventure of a Lifetime", part one: Poptropica fanfiction

"Hiding" // Short story