Book reviews - "Sister, Missing" and "Legend" - plus a mini-story written by me

So I'd decided that whenever I'd finish reading a book I'd write a review on it here... well, that didn't happen. I finished reading Sister, Missing over a week ago and I still haven't written a review. I just... had other ideas for posts that kept taking priority, so I never got round to it. So! I'm going to write a review on it right now. Wish me luck...

Sister, Missing by Sophie McKenzie is the sequel to Girl, Missing. It's set two years after the events of the previous book. I absolutely loved it! Full of action and twists and turns, the action didn't stop for a second in the whole book, I literally couldn't put it down. It's starts off when Lauren's (the main character) eight-year-old sister disappears while they are on holiday together on the beach. I can't really say any more without revealing parts of the plot, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I'll just say that it's so good. I think I enjoyed Sister, Missing more than I enjoyed Girl, Missing, which is odd as I usually enjoy the first book more than the sequel. While reading Girl, Missing I sometimes felt like I couldn't really connect with the characters, but that wasn't the case while reading Sister, Missing. I completely understood how Lauren was feeling, and I genuinely wanted her sister to be okay. So, my final verdict: a brilliant thriller, I recommend you read it!

Today I finished reading Legend by Marie Lu, so I might as well review that now as well, or I won't get round to it in ages. Legend is set in a dystopian future, in the "Republic of America". I thought it was really good. It's narrated by two different people: Day, the most wanted criminal in the Republic, and June, a child prodigy recruited by the government to hunt Day down. I love stories that are told from two different points of view, especially when the two people have completely different lives to each other, and are fighting for different sides, but who end up meeting each other and becoming very unlikely friends; so this aspect of the story really appealed to me. Admittedly, the story is a little cliched - a post-apocalyptic world, an unfair and manipulative government, rebels trying to overthrow said government, nasty plagues - but that didn't stop me enjoying the book. It took me a while to get into it, but by the time I got to the middle of the book I was hooked. Again, I can't really say much else without spoiling it for anyone. I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel, as the ending was somewhat inconclusive. Final verdict: a great book, brilliant if you're a fan of the dytopian genre. Recommended!

Hope you enjoyed my reviews - I know I'm not the best at reviewing things, heh.

I occurs to me that while I've talked a lot about creative writing, I've never actually shared any of my own stories here. I guess that's because I don't write a lot of short stories, even my short stories are kinda long, and I don't finish a lot of my projects, either.

Last week, my mum and I came up with a writing exercise: we came up with a short sentence, and we had to re-write that sentence into a paragraph, using much more interesting words and phrases. The sentence was "I was walking down the road and I tripped and twisted my ankle, and it hurt." Well, the original idea was to write a paragraph, but I decided to write a mini-story about it instead. Here's what I came up with:


I felt a rush of relief as I left the dark alleyway behind and entered the high street. At least there were people here, and I’d be able to hide amongst them. I looked over my shoulder as I walked quickly down the road: had I left them behind? Or were they still following me, hiding in the shadows?

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I completely missed the bucket standing in the middle of the street. My foot crashed against it, my arms windmilled around, trying to regain my balance, but before I knew it the pavement was rushing up to meet me.

Dazed from the fall, annoyed at my own clumsiness, I tried to push myself up again. Passers-by were looking at me, concerned, and a kindly old woman offered me her hand. I took it and hauled myself to my feet.

A sharp spasm of pain slashed through my ankle as I put my weight on it. I gasped, and sank onto the floor again. My ankle! It felt like someone had set fire to it. I looked down and saw that it was red and swollen. I’d twisted it, I realised.


The old woman who’d helped me was asking me what the matter was and whether she should call an ambulance, but I barely heard. My gaze was fixed on the dark figure standing a few metres away. And the one on the other side of the road. My blood turned to ice. They were here. They’d followed me, after all. I had to run. But how could I, when I could barely stand up? I looked around, panicked. What was I going to do? 

So there you have it, a mini-story by yours truly. Nowhere near close to the best I've ever written, but hey it was just an English exercise. This perfectly shows my weird ability to turn the most mundane thing into a thriller. Oh well, that's just my twisted mind for you. 

That's it for today guys, 

Stay awesome,

- IndigoSky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indigo's Monthly Writing Challenge: September

"The Adventure of a Lifetime", part one: Poptropica fanfiction

"Hiding" // Short story