Insomnia and good ideas for stories: the two things are linked

So today I'm having a pretty good day. I'm feeling way better today than I've been lately. My teeth no longer hurt, for starters. I'm starting to get used to my braces. My teeth still ache a little when I eat, but I mean it's nothing compared to a few days ago. Today I had a normal lunch, I was actually able to eat a few breadsticks and crisps. Considering three days ago I couldn't even bite into a banana without my teeth giving me hell, I think this is a pretty good improvement. And the metal bits still rub against the inside of my cheeks, but I've gotten the hang of using the orthodontic wax, so I barely notice it. All in all, life is good.

I also finally managed to get a good night's sleep last night, after barely sleeping a wink all weekend. I had about five hours' sleep on Friday night and maybe six hours on Saturday, don't ask me why, I just couldn't fall asleep. It happens to me sometimes - I get insomnia. I was super tired all day, but the moment I got into bed - wow, my brain was so wide awake. I tried every single technique to get myself to sleep but it didn't work. The only thing I can do when I can't sleep is lie awake and wait for my brain to decide to switch off - nothing else works.

It's hell when I can't sleep. I lie awake for literally hours on end, just staring into the darkness, and thinking - Why, brain. Why are you doing this to me. What have I ever done to you. Just let me go to sleep, damn it. I'm the sort of person who likes to be in control of things, and whenever this happens I realise that I have absolutely no control over my sleep. I mean, I usually sleep well, all through the night, but when my brain doesn't want to sleep, there is nothing I can do about it.

To be honest I'm  still feeling a little sleepy today, but I guess that's just because I have a lot of sleep to catch up with. Also, it's Monday. I'm always half-asleep on Mondays.

There's an upside to lying awake at nights, though. I come up with some of my best ideas during the night. While I was trying to get to sleep a couple nights ago I had an idea for another story. I finished the story I was writing before, a few weeks ago, and I'd been looking for inspiration to start a new story, but I couldn't come up with anything. Anyway I had an idea. It's about a girl who's sister dies in an explosion on board a bus, and everyone thinks it was an accident, but the girl finds out that it wasn't an accident at all, someone wanted to kill someone who was on the bus. I haven't quite figured out the details yet, there are still a LOT of gaps, but I'm going to start planning it and hopefully start writing it soon. Of course I might decide that the plot isn't quite good enough and decide not to write it, or come up with another better idea and decide to write that instead, but the main character is really vivid in my mind. I can get into her head perfectly, which is something that can be hard. I really want to write a story with her in it.

Well, that's it from me.

-IndigoSky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indigo's Monthly Writing Challenge: September

"The Adventure of a Lifetime", part one: Poptropica fanfiction

"Hiding" // Short story