Book review: "Prodigy" by Marie Lu

Hey kids, it's book review time. I've just finished reading Prodigy, the second book in the "Legend" trilogy by Marie Lu. Aaaand I'm gonna review it! Let me just warn you, this might contain some minor spoilers, so if I spoil anything for you, you can't blame me because I warned you, mwa-ha-ha. Anyway, let's get on with the show!

Since Prodigy is the sequel to Legend you kind of need to know what happened in the previous book to understand what's going on. To cut a long story short, the two main characters, June and Day, are on the run together, after June helped Day escape from his execution. They escape their city, and end up working for the Patriots, who are basically an organisation of rebels. The Patriots promise to help them escape the country, but they have to do something for the Patriots first - they have to help them assassinate the new Elector (who I guess is kind of like the president or something). Doing so would start a revolution, and all the harsh laws and suffering would come to an end. But of course, things aren't what they seem. While she's undercover, June finds out that the Elector is actually kind of a good person, who doesn't like the way his father ruled the country and wants to start a revolution himself, but a lot of people in the government aren't happy about that. Towards the end of the book, it turns out that the Patriots were actually working on the government's orders to kill the Elector. I really liked that twist; I love plot twists like that, and I knew that there was something fishy going on from the very beginning. I liked the intrigue and the action, which are things I like in just about any book. I also really like the way June thinks: she notices every single little detail and always knows exactly how much time has passed or what the temperature is - she's so super-smart.

So that's what I liked about it, but let's move on to what I didn't like about it. Namely, the love triangles. In the first book, Day and June were in love even though they're completely different and they risked everything to help each other and everything was great. Aside from the fact that they were being hunted by the government, of course. But in this book, everything got kinda complicated. Day's friend Tess turns out to be in love with him, which I didn't really like. I was so glad at the beginning, FINALLY a girl and a boy in a book who are friends and nothing else! But then they had to spoil it all, grr. I mean, Day and Tess pretty much grew up together, they're practically siblings, why would she fall in love with him? And the little romance between June and the Elector, I didn't like that either. Can't a boy and girl like each other without being in love? It seems not, sigh. Then Day kept doubting whether June was really on their side, and resenting her because it's kind of her fault that his family was dead - um, but she also saved your LIFE, and she threw everything away help you, argh. I just felt that there were a lot of unnecessary scenes and interactions between characters that didn't really help the story move along. It just slowed the pace down. And I find these little misunderstandings between characters kind of wearying, to be honest.

But all in all, it was a good book, not amazing, but it was okay. The story was intriguing and it had some great twists, but the pace was somewhat slow, at least in the beginning.

If you're kind of confused at the end of this, um, I can't blame you? I'm a little confused myself after reading it, and I'm the one who actually wrote it.

It occurs to me that maybe I should have waited until I'd finished reading all three books, and then reviewed the whole trilogy in a single review? Maybe that would have made it clearer. Oh well, it's too late now. By the way, if you want to read my review for Legend, you can find it here. 

That's all for now,

Stay awesome,

- IndigoSky

Comments

  1. I remember being hooked to the series (I read it like four years ago? three years ago at least) and after I Was done I was like.
    I have so many questions about this.
    Don't get me wrong, the concept behind it is great (from what I remember). My favorite character was probably June's brother (idk, I see myself a lot in the older, self sacrificing siblings xD cause i'm the eldest too). But I remember having fun reading it!

    the-emo-wolverine-writes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, really enjoyed the first book in the series, but I thought the second one wasn't as good. And to be honest, I have a few questions too... I don't really get why Day was trying to cause so many problems for the Republic, why didn't he just stay hidden? I don't think it's really explained.
      And I like June's brother too, he seemed like a really good person. I just started reading the last book in the series, which I'll also review when I finish!
      IndigoSky x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey there! I hope you enjoyed this post, and if you did, please leave me a comment! They make my day. I'll reply to your comment as soon as I can, so keeping checking back!

Popular posts from this blog

Indigo's Monthly Writing Challenge: November

Blue Sky Tag, featuring pics of my cat

The "Sunday Currently" + Q&A requests