Book review: "Champion" by Marie Lu

Whoa, it feels like ages since I last wrote a book review! I finished the last book in the Legend trilogy last week, but I haven't gotten round to reviewing it until now.

Remember how I said the second book in the trilogy, Prodigy, wasn't that great? (You can see the review here.) Well, I'm pleased to say that Champion, the third and last book, was so good that it totally made up for it. I really, really enjoyed it, I think it was the best out of the three books in the series. Basically, eight months have passed since the end of the end of Prodigy, and the Republic and the Colonies are finally at some sort of peace. The two main characters, Day and June, haven't seen each other in months, each of them busy with their own lives. Oh, also, at the end of the last book Day was told that he was dying because of the experiments that were done on him when he was younger, and he's been having terrible headaches ever since. But everything seems more or less all right, until a plague starts up in the Colonies. The Colonies think that the people from the Republic created the plague (which they've done before) and threaten to declare war on them again if they don't provide a cure. The catch is that the Republic hasn't started the plague, and they have no idea how to create a cure. The only way that they might be able to create a cure is by experimenting on Day's younger brother, Eden, who has had a similar illness before, but of course Day is really against anyone experimenting on his little brother.

I found this book really, really interesting. It had lots of action and suspense, and I could never really guess what was going to happen next. When the Colonies started invading the Republic I was genuinely worried about what was going to happen to the main characters. I was also really scared for Day, I had no idea whether he was going to die or not, sometimes it seemed that he was going to be fine but sometimes I was convinced that he was going to die. I was totally hooked.

This also had some romantic bits, but unlike in the previous book, I didn't feel that they got in the way of the central story; they just added a nice touch.

I found myself really warming up to Eden, Day's brother; he's always been a central part of the story, but up until now we never really got to "meet" him, he was only ever talked about. But in this book we really got to know what he was like, and I liked his character; he's very smart and loves building things, and he has a slightly cheeky side. He's also so, so brave, despite everything that's happened to him, and he was willing to let people experiment on him if it would save others' lives - my heart just totally went out to him.

The ending was just heartbreaking, and I wasn't sure why June acted the way she did, but at least it ended on a hopeful note right at the very end.

All in all, I've really enjoyed reading the Legend trilogy, it's full of plot twists and suspense which is just how I like my books. It's not the greatest series I've ever read - I have a few unanswered questions and some parts were a bit too slow for my taste - but overall I had a lot of fun reading this.

Hope you enjoyed this review, and don't hesitate to tell me your opinions on this series!

-IndigoSky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indigo's Monthly Writing Challenge: November

Blue Sky Tag, featuring pics of my cat

The "Sunday Currently" + Q&A requests