Book review: "Dead Time" by Anne Cassidy

I finished reading Dead Time by Anne Cassidy this morning, and you know what that means - time for a review!

Dead Time is about a girl called Rose and her kind-of stepbrother Joshua; five years earlier, when Rose was twelve, her mother and Joshua's father went out on a date and never came home. The police had no idea what happened to them, and the case was closed. At the beginning of the novel, Rose and Joshua are going to meet up for the first time in years, but while Rose is going to meet him, she witnesses the murder of a guy who goes to the same college as her. She ends up getting tangled up in the murder investigation; and then another girl from her college is also killed, and Rose is determined to find who the killer is. At the same time, she's helping Joshua, who is obsessed with trying to find out what happened to their parents and is investigating some leads he found. 

Okay, time to be honest. I didn't really enjoy it.

It promised so much when I first started reading it! Missing people, mysterious murders, dark pasts - YEAH! This is MY kind of novel! But it ended up disappointing me.

I just didn't feel like I was engaged with the story. I didn't feel particularly interested in finding out the answers to the mysteries. I think it was all to do with the way it was written - I didn't like it, I felt like it didn't really flow, somehow? The conversations between the characters felt kind of stilted. There was just something about the way it was written that bothered me, and it really affected my enjoyment of the novel. The actual story wasn't bad; the mysteries were all nice and complex, but I felt like there wasn't enough suspense - if the story had been written differently it could have been so, so much better.

I didn't really connect to Rose, the main character - sometimes I couldn't understand the way she acted; why was she so involved in the murder investigations? And why was she sometimes rude to people for no reason? I just felt like I didn't know what was going through her mind, and I didn't feel connected to her. 

I'm feeling really guilty right now because I hate giving bad reviews about anything, but, well, this is what I thought about this book and there's nothing I can do about it.

So all in all, I didn't enjoy it much, but it could have been a lot better if it had been written differently because the plot was actually quite good.

Well, that's about it for this review. Did anyone else read this book? What did you think about it? Comment and tell me!

On an unrelated subject, yesterday I watched the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who and I thought it was SO GOOD! The Doctor's new companion is AWESOME, seriously, she's so cool! I really want to write something about Doctor Who but I'll probably wait until I've watched all the new episodes, and then review the whole season.

Stay awesome,

-IndigoSky 

Comments

  1. Hey I am Khalessy from Teen world 007. The reason of this comment was because I would like to know if u have seen The 100 serie. If not, I have, and it is incredible!! :D
    I think that u would enjoy it veeery much. If u have watched, I`ll be soo happy if u do a review. Thanks for your attention and I think that you are a fantastic writer!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Khalessy! I watched the first couple of seasons of The 100 but it was a long time ago and I don't remember much about it, so I don't think I'd be able to write a review on it, sorry.

      However I accept guest posts! So if you'd like to write a review on it and send it to me, I'd be very happy to post it on my blog!

      I'm glad you like my writing, this means soo much to me :)

      IndigoSky

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey there! I hope you enjoyed this post, and if you did, please leave me a comment! They make my day. I'll reply to your comment as soon as I can, so keeping checking back!

Popular posts from this blog

Indigo's Monthly Writing Challenge: November

Blue Sky Tag, featuring pics of my cat

The "Sunday Currently" + Q&A requests