I am a girl

I am a girl.

I'm not interested in fashion or beauty.

I never wear make-up.

I don't really care much about my appearance.

I absolutely hate shopping.

I've never had feelings for a boy.

I like doing exercise; it makes me feel good.

I never cry. I don't think I've cried since I was eleven years old; I think I've lost the ability to. It doesn't matter how upset I am about something or how much stress I'm under, I never shed a tear. I hold it all in.

I struggle to express my inner feelings. I think this is because I often don't really understand what my feelings are, so how I can express them to others when I don't understand them myself? I feel completely unable to share my emotions with the people around me, even though my parents are always kind and understanding; my mum shares her feelings with me, so why am I incapable of doing the same back?

I hate it when people get emotional around me. I have no idea what to do or what to say or what to feel or what to do with myself at all.

Emotions in books or TV are brilliant; in real life they're just plain confusing.

I have a lot of pride. A lot of people who know me don't think so, but it's true. I hate being seen as vulnerable, I hate having to ask for help. I always act like I'm tough and unemotional and absolutely nothing fazes me, even when that's not 100% true.

I like to live in my own little world filled with stories. I love to read about alternate worlds, interesting characters, drastic situations, and I get inspired by things I read or watch on TV to write my own tales.

Most of my stories are pretty dark, I'm just saying.

My favourite book and TV genres are fantasy and science fiction. I absolutely hate rom-coms.

I'm still a girl.

                                                                                                                                                                  

If you're wondering what the point of all this is, it's my way of saying that gender stereotypes can be completely and utterly wrong. I'm a girl who doesn't always identify with other girls, and you know what? I think that's fine! I like who I am, the socially-awkward, emotionally-hopeless weirdo I am, I wouldn't change me for anything.

I'm just tired of feeling like some sort of alien life-form just because I'm not a lovesick, moody, fashion-obsessed airhead. I'm tired of people thinking that all teenage girls are lovesick, moody, fashion-obsessed airheads. Some of us aren't. Some of us don't fit into that stereotype and we're made to feel like we're weird because of it? How is that even fair?

I hate labels. I hate it how some people judge you just because of some label that they've given you. Boy. Girl. They're nothing but labels.

Maybe I wrote it wrong in the post. I shouldn't have said I'm a girl.

I'm not a girl.

Neither am I a boy.

I'm me.


It's that simple.


-IndigoSky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Memories": A short story

"Train Zombies": A short story

This hot weather is killing me...